- Please consider this letter as your invitation to TEXAS, OUR TEXAS... the THIRD ANNUAL Texas History event at the Dallas Scottish Rite. We hope you will join your fellow Texas compatriots for this wonderful event.
- The event is co-sponsored by the Dallas Scottish Rite and the Dallas Historical Society, and will be held on Saturday, April 25, 2015, at the neoclassical downtown Dallas Scottish Rite Cathedral. The construction of the building began in 1908 and was built by the leaders of Dallas. This beautiful building is full of history and offers the perfect setting for our evening.
- Our theme this year is "How Texas Won the Civil War" as we examine the period in Texas history from 1861 to 1865 and shortly thereafter. From Texas historical artifacts that are rarely displayed to the public, to an excellent dinner and an interesting lecture the evening will be memorable. A cash bar and other refreshments will be available.
- Dr. Donald S. Frazier, Professor of History at McMurry University in Abilene, Texas, is our keynote speaker this year. Dr. Frazier is a graduate of The University of Texas at Arlington and Texas Christian University. He has written several books on the Civil War, including Blood and Treasure, Cottonclads, Fire in the Cane Field, and Thunder Across the Swamp.
- In addition, a greatly expanded artifact display this year will include exhibits by the Dallas Historical Society, The Texas Rangers Museum, The Texas Civil War Museum, Texas Confederate Museum Collection - United Daughters of the Confederancy and Jackson Armory. A vendor area, silent auction, and group of re-enactors stationed throughout the building will make the entire evening educational, memorable, and fun.
- Tickets are $30.00 and include access to all displays, dinner, and the lecture. Tables of eight are also available at $240.00. This will be a great evening to bring your children or grandchildren, students or friends.
- To purchase tickets, you may contact our office at 214-748-9196 Monday-Friday, 8:00-4:00, to reserve your tickets via credit card. Please RSVP prior to April 15, 2015, to ensure your seat reservation. Doors will open at 5:00 PM for viewing of the artifacts; dinner will be at 6:30 and the lecture at 8:00.
- H. Buchanan 'Buck' Howard
- Chairman, Dallas Scottish Rite
Displays of historical artifacts from several collections throughout the building, including:
THE DALLAS HISTORICAL SOCIETY
TEXAS RANGER MUSEUM
TEXAS CIVIL WAR MUSEUM
TEXAS CONFEDERATE MUSEUM COLLECTION
UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY
Silent auction and vendor booths
Ticket includes BBQ Dinner